If you are a business owner who relies on email, filtering out spam runs a small risk of filtering out a lead. Instead, you could use this easy technique to delete spam quickly.
Using Outlook (or Outlook Express):
- Check email only once or twice a day.
- Let all the email download before looking at your in-box.
- Click on the first email to delete.
- Scroll down until you find the next email you want to look at, then shift-click on the email above it. This will highlight a group of emails that you want to delete.
- Review the highlighted list, then click the "Delete" icon (X) on the toolbar to delete all of the highlighted emails.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 as needed.
- Don't purge the deleted email for a month or so. If you accidentally delete something important that a customer or supplier later phones you about, you can retrieve it from your "Deleted Items" folder in Outlook.
Many other email tools (such as Hotmail) have similar "bulk delete" features.
Don't be a slave to email. It can be a tremendous productivity tool.